Monday 14 March 2011

Week 5

This week, things have become much more muddled for my job role.  Due to acquiring the working knowledge of Adobe Fireworks, it has been mistaken that this is my role.  I have been struggling to have the time to create graphics as well as work with Chris to transform the website.

Although I do not mind doing these graphics they actually take a lot of time and I haven't been able to take complete charge of my actual job, which is in relation to turning the website around in design.  I also seem to keep getting pulled in other areas and I have had to speak to Charlotte, the editor, about these problems.

Having said that, to help contribute to the production team's new entertainment show, Good Afternoon Winchester, I happily accepted responsibility for the competition graphics.  I am becoming a pro at looking for photos through Creative Commons, although it can be a little tedious if you can't find a photo that allows you to alter it before contacting the owner.

I designed a new strapline for news, as requested by Charlotte.  Although I created the strapline as transparent, it appears on conversion into a JPEG file, the strapline became solid.  It also gained a white area at the bottom, which wasn't there on the Fireworks image.  I'm not too sure how to solve this problem and it's unlikely that I will get the time to sort it out, as Charlotte wants new graphics for news and sportsweek.

Also, for the production team I was in charge of the VT again, which I'm quite happy doing.  This will be the last week of doing this as others need to learn how to do it too.

Like last week, the script was late in getting to us in the gallery, so it was difficult to type it up onto the autocue.  Thankfully the bulletin did manage to get recorded at 3pm, but we had lacked sufficient time to rehearse - causing a few nerves for the presenters and stress for all gallery members.

In relation to the website, we had a few breakthroughs and a few mishaps.  In trying to design a better front page for the site, I managed to show Chris an extension which puts articles on the front page into boxes.  He was quite happy with this and asked that I download it.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to use the computers at university to do this.  After listening to what I had said, Chris found a component to add to the website, that has been designed to imitate the front page of CNN.

Chris installed the component, but it didn't seem to install correctly and sent WINOL website into a bit of a meltdown all day Wednesday!  Chris will reinstall the component and is keen to relaunch the new website.

No comments:

Post a Comment