Tuesday 18 October 2011

Bagels Galore

I have never been a goddess in the kitchen, I've always had rather dull tastebuds, but at times I can show I am slightly skilled when it comes to baking.

After visiting a good friend in York who I had not seen for a very long time, it opened my eyes to a completely different world.  Not only does she hardly eat meat (her boyfriend is vegetarian) but she cooks and bakes so much, finding the time in her busy life which is mainly taken up with teaching Secondary school Maths.

I was extremely impressed, they seemed to be living an ideal lifestyle, where the local farm delivers local vegetables to their door.  My friend's enthusiasm for cooking made me begin to believe that I too, could produce something edible. 

And my bagel adaptations have proved me right.  Whilst in York, Rachel had fed me some wonderful home made bagels and she offered the recipe - taken from the Womens Institute cook book.  I snapped up the chance and when I got back home, I went straight to the shops and bought the ingredients.

There weren't too many, and the method for making the bagels was quite simple - I think this is what convinced me to try the recipe in the first place.  I successfully made a batch of plain white bagels, and noted things I would like to try for the next time.

Cinnamon bagels are one of my favourite types,  so I hoped I could replicate this into mine.  It wasn't too difficult to alter the bagels, (I'm sure many a seasoned kitchen star would assume this anyway) I followed the normal instructions and just added two teaspoons of ground allspice and as many currants as seemed right. 

On my plain bagels (I made two batches, one with the allspice and currants, the other without)  I added sunflower seeds onto the top, after boiling the dough in the hotwater and glazing with egg.

My small alterations to the original recipe really made a big difference, and even my brother came back for more groundspice bagels - complimenting me as well!  This proves to people like me, that the kitchen doesn't have to be a tricky place.  I think it's more important for people to encourage you, and to show you it isn't too difficult, and that soon you'll be able to work out how to improve a recipe, or tailor it to your own taste.

Bon appetite!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment