Thursday 3 November 2011

To Birmingham and Back...

I'm not a very keen traveller when it comes to public transport. Having lived in a village which is away from a variety of things (although this is a very commuter type village, don't be fooled, it's not in  the sticks) as soon as I was old enough I needed to drive to get out and about.

So for years I've grown accustomed to flinging possessions into the car and taking off in a direction.  Things are a lot slower on public transport and more tedious-having to share your personal space with strangers and being able to take only what you can carry (limiting for outfit choices).  In fact now as I sit here analysing my first trip to Birmingham by train, the man next to me is casting a rather offish smell. All I want to do is scream.

So what would make a person like me want to travel by train? Has the price of petrol really risen that high? In one word yes. Now this wouldn't usually tempt me, but costing a mere £20 return when in the car it would cost £60 in petrol I began to sway.  That on top of me needing to be at work in London either end of the journey persuaded me that i would already be there-to return back to pick my car would take an hour and a half, it would be pointless.

It has to be said, getting across London with any luggage is horrendous.  You either have a choice of climbing up and down stairs for tube stations or dragging the blasted suitcase behind you, walking all the way. If you manage to find a direct bus you're quite lucky, and considering these are the cheapest option I'd suggest these are the best idea-unless there is no space downstairs.  When I reached Euston, I was greeted with more stairs - a man kindly offered to help, but in the true London commuter spirit, suspicion of him made me decline
it.

At Euston nothing was actually tricky (maybe the unclear meal deal signs in M&S, which is not the stations fault). It was strange that no barriers were place at the beginning of the platform, but it actually made it easier to walk straight down to the train.

The train company taking me up to Birmingham New Street was Virgin Trains. Although it was maybe no longer looking completely brand new I was pleased with the seat-i'd requested one by the window. It was spacious, I'd managed to fit my luggage on the rack so I quite happily settled myself down for a two and a half hour journey. It was only when the announcer on the train said it would arrive at 15.45 at New Street I realised I'd got it wrong. Journey time from Euston on Virgin Trains on average is 1hr 20mins-a rather pleasant surprise (although I must have known this when I booked the tickets). We flew along through the countryside at a mighty pace (at which I wished my normal commuter train to Waterloo would fly-I'd be home in half the time at that rate). This is one of the biggest positives about not taking the car-it means I can let my mind wander and allow someone else to take me to my destination. Not having to driving meant I wasn't exhausted from concentrating on the road for 2 and half hours, making me fresh with energy to enjoy my friends company.

On my return I didn't encounter any problems on the train either.

It's hard to say which transport is better. I generally prefer my car because it's my own
space and it allows over packing, but at the same time petrol isn't cheap and getting stuck in traffic is almost always going to happen - ending in frustrations as well as delays time wise.

Getting to the station required a lot of effort - even my starting station requires me to beg for a lift there (otherwise a 40min walk or shocking bus service). But nothing was delayed, all trains ran on time. Although I'm sure we all know this isn't always the way with trains.

Overall I'm glad I took the train, it's much more cost effective for one person, if you can book early and get a good deal. When deciding on whether to take the car it's best to weigh up cost and travelling time. It depends what's more important to you at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment